4/09/2013

Plan for a new MacBookPro: Budget

I want the swiftest system with large enough memory and disk space. Therefore, it is straightforward for me to choose the high end model: 2.7 GHz quad Intel i7 with 16GB, 1.6 GHz memory and 512GB flash storage. I'm going to use it in the clamshell mode connecting to my old display and my lovely HappyHack keyboard. This means I don't need an excellent 15" Retina display. But it comes with anyway. OK, I'll take it. Cost = J¥245,800.

 I take an upgrade of the quad i7 to 2.8 GHz. Cost+= J¥22,800.

I don't take an option to increase the capacity of the flash storage. 512 GB is enough.

I need a Mini DisplayPort-VGA to connect to my display. Cost+=J¥2,800

I should have a Time Capsule. 2TB is enough, I think. Cost+=J¥26,400

Cost: J¥297,800 (Apple Store)

(Why I want a brand new MacBookPro?)
My current MacBookPro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 GHz with 4GB memory. OS X 10.6.8. Used to be good enough for my purpose. I am just beginning to feel the limit of capacity when I run my 10K line c/c++ routine including root and geant4 libraries. More important is that I have installed these libraries in 32 bit mode. Why? Because CLHEP2 used in geant4 was only available for 32 bit. The real limitation with my MacBookPro is not of the hardware one. Some libraries like xmlrpc, when I use it to communicate with my computing environments, dosen't allow me to use 32 bit mode compiled with gcc -m32. So, I apparently need 64 bit environment somewhere at my hand. In principle, I can install 64 bit versions separately on my current Mac. But I don't want to get a mess like ones I have experienced in the past. I want to leave all 32 bit libraries working on the current MacBookPro and want a new 64 bit platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment